Friday, January 16, 2009

Journal 2 & 3: Still Under Construction

CSS. I like.

So I just recently finished my digital portfolio...at least the major body of it...I still need to add descriptions to my pictures and Next and Previous buttons to the pages. And some other minor things like adding a Favicon (thanks to Jam's wonderful insight and guidance).Tedious comes to mind.

Now for the actual meat of this post. So for a few days now, I've been trying to add a little banner in the corner explaining that my site is still under construction. From my previous life as a CSE 101 student in the Web Track Program, I knew the best way to do this was to make a div and tell the index where to put it with the all-powerful CSS sheet that Photoshop so conveniently generated for me...sounds pretty simple right? I already did it once with the link (a picture ) for my Homepage (which is still in the virtual womb with only that maroon rectangle in the background to show for my extensive work*), so I knew generally what to do...absolute positioning and 0px top and left...but it wasn't working. I had put the div in the line above the < / body > tag...if it's absolutely positioned, it really doesn't matter where you put the div as long as it's in the body...but no luck...so what about right under the <> tag? I want it at the top of the page...so I'll put the GIF at the top of the code...no? What about just inside the top <> tag? Random place, but it might work...no. WTF? So for about a week, I tried to figure out what I was doing wrong...and one day it hit me...what if I take out the space in the div id?** Turns out that little space makes all the difference.

I now have a Still Under Construction banner in its rightful place...but it was a pain...moral of this story...with div id's, no spaces or else


*building a table half from scratch is a pain in the ass!
**my div id was .under construction

No comments: